Heroes of the Storm

Games we like that aren't WoW
Tziva
Grade A Certified Not-Crazy
Main Character: Tziva

Re: Heroes of the Storm

Postby Tziva » (Thursday) 11.30.17 • 23.53

That sounds fun; how long does that game mode usually take?
Hanstall
The Best Raid Leader That Ever Mispronounced Your Name
Main Character: Hanstall

Postby Hanstall » (Friday) 12.01.17 • 11.17

Just to clarify for people, this is the weekly Brawl. These are unusual game modes that are only available for a week. Last week's was the normal version and this week is the Heroic version. Since it is a Brawl you can queue with anything from 1-5 people and it fills any missing spots. Queue times are very short (<30 seconds). The advantage of heroic is that you only have to complete it once to get the reward and you get a Rare chest rather than Normal. These brawls have been getting a lot of attention and people have been clambering for something like this to be a regular game mode. They put some effort into the map as it has its own voice lines, interesting boss mechanics (don't stand in fire :P), and item drops that help you. The heroic just started so there is still like 6 days to do it.

As far as time, I did the normal one in 8:30-10:30 minutes per run. I did it mostly with randoms about 6 times and only failed once when two guys went ham away from the group and died. The world record was like 4:15. There is discussion about the heroic brawl records at Unofficial official Heroic Escape from Braxis speedrun leaderboard!. Record seems to be 6:02 but 10-15 minutes is more typical for successful runs. The chance of wiping seems to be much higher so actual time to complete can be much higher. You restart from beginning if you all die. I have not tried it yet but useful advice I have seen:
  • Take a good and durable comp: 1 solid tank, one bruiser, 2 support, and someone else with very high DPS. Zarya is particularly good because of how her kit owns PvE. Creatures don't switch to another target when she shields. She can keep her energy pretty much permanently maxed. Sonya is good because she dominates trash.
  • Take it slow and stay together. There are often split corridors you have to clear and in the normal brawl people often split to do them at the same time.
Let me know if anyone wants to give it a try. I did the normal one with my son and daughter and they had a great time.
Hanstall
The Best Raid Leader That Ever Mispronounced Your Name
Main Character: Hanstall

Postby Hanstall » (Monday) 12.04.17 • 00.27

I finally got the chance to actually try Heroic Escape from Braxis myself and it was a lot of fun... if you have a party of 5. It is very reminiscent of the old days of doing WoW boss fights. Except if you just queue without 5 it is like doing a WoW boss fight where each time you wipe you get a whole new team with unknown skills and knowledge of the fight. There are no mechanisms to keep the team you have if you don't start with a full party. (This is great feature of Overwatch.)

I tried it like 6 times queuing just with my son and wiping. There were several times where we wiped on the final boss and I thought if we could just try it again we'd get it for sure. Then the next game we get someone who goes YOLO away from the team and starts boss fights before we are all healed, and we wipe in the first zone. Finally we managed to put a pre-made 5 party together in the Reddit channel with Zarya, Sonya, Lucio, Kharazim, and Greymane and sailed through with no major issues in just over 11 minutes.

So yeah, get a 5 person party, pick a reasonable sturdy composition, take it slow, and profit. :) Let me know if anyone wants to try it and I'll be happy to join.
Tziva
Grade A Certified Not-Crazy
Main Character: Tziva

Postby Tziva » (Friday) 12.08.17 • 10.22

Yeah, I definitely want to try. If you and your son are both there, it seems easier to pug the other few? Does your daughter play Heroes at all? I guess by this point the weekly brawl is different though :(

PS - Han you need OW for PC ;)

Return to “Video Games”